OpenHarmony at FOSDEM’21

URL: Join in Openharmony in Fosdem' 21 - Blog page

Join OpenHarmony in FOSDEM’21

Success for the first fully virtual edition of FOSDEM’21 with more than 30k of developers, companies, innovation hubs, open source experts connected during the two days of conference.

FOSDEM’21 is one of the major European open source events addressed to the world of open source communities and developers. This year the event was fully hosted in virtual mode and the lack in face to face interaction and networking, was well managed by the chatroom organization that FOSDEM volunteers had set up allowing people connection, know-how, feedback sharing and moreover on demand access to pre-recorded videos was with no doubt a big plus.

For Huawei Open Source Technology Center (OSTC) it’s the first time joining FOSDEM conference, and which better moment than starting with one of the most representative projects currently handled in open source than OpenHarmony.

OpenHarmony is a very ambitious project that makes open source, open governance and community sharing its real innovative nature, it is a revolutionized way of building efficient and secure cross-devices connectivity, collaboration and interoperability. It’s a new IoT frontier that is looking at how to improve users’ daily life and make it easy, simple and intuitive to provide a seamless user experience.

How is it possible? How to make it a concrete reality? And why this is something completely new? We got the chance to answer to all those questions and much more during the talks and into our virtual project booth.

Throughout the 2 days, OSTC team indeed presented talks and FOSDEM had been the occasion to provide a 360° degrees tour of OpenHarmony with topics ranged from virtual community connection, OpenChain upfront, License Compliance, to CI system debugging and distributions building.

Get in our minivan and let’s take a look back over the OpenHarmony journey into FOSDEM!

Information Point - Virtual Stand

You could have found our OSTC logo displayed in the FOSDEM stands page, which drove you to the operating system project stand.

Walking in the OpenHarmony stand you got the chance to meet also our first European partner SECO Spa, an Italian group with a leading global position in the sector of high technology and in particular in the IoT field.

Partnerships are one of the greatest value of the OpenHarmony project embodying the real sense of open source targeting developers, device makers, OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers), Chipset manufacturers, communities and innovation hubs.

Meet your tour guides – OSTC speakers in devroom

At FOSDEM’21, OpenHarmony project was presented during talks and panel discussions into different devrooms, if you missed FOSDEM allows you to access the recorded versions, please see our deep dives:

How a collaboration starts

To highlight even more how much public conferences like FOSDEM are important to spread the voice and diffuse knowledge, we would like to leave the room to Phil Coval alias @rzr and tell us about his experience at this 2021 FOSDEM edition:

“FOSDEM has always been special to me, more than a source of inspiration, it somehow changed my life since my first attendance in 2012, to 2020 which made me really busy.

This “2021 online edition” was different in many aspects but one benefit of attending an online event is that you don’t have to wait to be back home to start hacking with presented projects.
OpenHarmony OS was in my list of interests, so I joined the OSTC and OpenHarmony virtual stand as soon as the conference started, joined Stefan Schmidt’s talk (Principal Solution Architect Open Source at OSTC).
Goals and roadmap looked promising, I liked the concept of cooperative and interoperable systems and wanted to know more as reproducibility is something OSS developers value a lot, so I had to check my own.

In a couple of clicks I reached the GitLab repo the entry door is a “manifest” file to download sources of the whole project.
It was easy to get into it, because the project is based on OpenEmbedded/Yocto Poky distribution. There is no need to present more here because it’s widely used in the Embedded world. Anyone will sort it out by reading the dedicated documentation and the detailed instructions provided there.
On saturday night I kicked off a build of “core-image-minimal" which I was able to boot on sunday morning.

My first thought was related to a hobby project I started during France’s first lockdown. I prototyped a Linux “pincab” device by upcycling obsolete hardware with “Abandonware”
I adopted Emilia pinball, contributed this “pincab” feature along community tables now part of Debian “generic” OS.
Optimization for a dedicated hardware was also in TO DO list, so I upstreamed latest versions in “Meta-games" OE layer that you can find here: meta-games/recipes-games/pinball at master · cazfi/meta-games · GitHub
Meanwhile Emilia’s pinball master branch (GitHub - adoptware/pinball: Emilia Pinball : A Libre pinball simulator for GNU Linux) was upgraded to support SDL2 (and its wayland backend).

So on sunday morning, I was tempted to rebuild an OHOS image enabling OpenGL and Wayland to support my “work in progress” layer GitHub - astrolabe-coop/meta-games
Bitbake magic made it just worked, now I was able to boot the pinball on a PC, same procedure worked for other boards like Avenger96 (stm32mp1).
I also remember in some Q&A session a friend asking about RaspberryPi support, so I also tried it on a Pi3 with related BSP (GitHub - agherzan/meta-raspberrypi: Yocto BSP layer for the Raspberry Pi boards) .

You can watch current performance on different hardware here: pinball-ohos-fosdem2021 built on #OpenHarmonyOS during #FOSDEM2021 @ https://purl.org/rzr/pinball# - Diode Zone

We can now validate that OHOS is developer friendly and a good base to build any Linux embedded system, but it does not stop here I am inviting any curious developer to study meta-ohos’s features Distro / Oniro · GitLab and suggest any relevant use cases (i.e.: like offloading Sensors & WebThings, motion sensors processing to STM32MP1’s MCU running ZephyrOS, etc.)
Feel free to subscribe to this feed about this “Libre pincab” experiment here .

Conclusion

The direct experience and feedbacks provided by Phil Coval are extremely important for the correct OpenHarmony peer to peer review and we are glad he had the possibility and the will to test it and provide such a great contribution to the project.

The OpenHarmony journey is still evolving and growing and we need your support to make it better, please join the European OpenHarmony project and our community.

Stay tuned!